Monday 6 August 2007

Buying a Laptop

Buying a computer is not an easy thing especially with somany brands and promotions to choose from. I went through a major research to zero down on the best suited buy in the budget that I had.

After a long look at all the notebook offerings in the UAE market (mostly Dubai) it was finally decided. To go for a Toshiba A200 11c. Just to take you through the aspects that I considered important
- Technology
- Durability (without upgrades)
- Adaptability
- Price

There were a few other aspects that did cross my mind like its look, its weight, battery life but they were not considered too big decision drivers.

First step that I took as a outsider to the laptop world was to understand the different specifications and technology presentin the market. So I paid a visit to the nearest Plug-in store and checked the different models and their speficications, since they were gibberish to me I just noted them plunged into the net search at the deep end so to speak.

The website which helped me a lot was CNET which provided excellent comparison among different models, though these model numbers were not the same as the ones we have in the Middle-East but comparison of the specifications were a big help. I took sometime in reading feedbacks that were written for each model, which helped me a lot in making up my mind

Anyways to cut the long story short the configuration I ended up with is
- Processor- Intel Core 2 duo
- Clock Speed- 1.83 Ghz
- RAM- 1 GB
- Hard Disc- 160 GB
- DVD Super Multi drive (Double Layer)
- HD Audio supporting Microsoft® Windows® HotStart™ for instant-on entertainment integrated microphone for Voice over IP integrated
- WiFi, Bluetooth, inbuilt camera 1.3 mega pixel
- Windows Vista home premium

Of all the features that you see I had to compromise on the clock speed as I was looking for a 2 Ghz but then there was a logic that with a processor of core 2 duo speed of 1.83 is quite good, the difference between 1.83 and 2 Ghz was 700 AED or approx $200.

It does seem a good buy, though there were no add on like a carry bag o extra RAM or a memory stick with the purchase.

In the end I understood that the game is not to look for a perfect laptop as there is nothing like a perfect one, if you have the right processor then the clock speed is too low, if you have both these right the price break the roof therefore I concluded that the aim is to get one as close to perfect as possible.

No comments:

Number of Hits